As you might know, today WordPress version 2.2 has been released.
After reading the changelog, I decided to upgrade pufone.org blog and also write a guide with screenshots. Who knows this might help some of you out there. Here is how I upgraded from WordPress 2.1.3 to WordPress 2.2:
First, i downloaded WordPress 2.2.
Then i begun the backup. The backup process consists of two parts:
- The MySQL backup
I backed up my WordPress database using phpMyAdmin, if you don’t have it installed, you might want to read this tutorial. (half way down the page)
To do this you first need to select the database, then click on the Export link:
Then you have to select all the tables in the database (Ctrl+A) and check all the boxes i have checked, then click on Go, like this:
- The File/FTP backup
This is pretty much straight forward. I have backed up the whole www folder because there are some other files like .htaccess that WordPress might screw in the upgrade process:
The next step in upgrading to WordPress 2.2 is to deactivate all the plugins. You can do that by accessing your wp-admin… oh you know this
Now you have to delete some files from the WordPress folder. Generally, it is a good idea to delete whatever is possible because the uploading process may not correctly overwrite an existing file and that may cause problems later.
DO NOT DELETE these folders and files:
- wp-config.php file;
- wp-content folder;
- wp-images folder;
- wp-includes/languages/ folder–if you are using a language file, do not delete this folder;.
- .htaccess file–if you have added custom rules to your .htaccess, do not delete it;
- Custom Content and/or Plugins–if you have any images or other custom content or Plugins inside the wp-content folder, do NOT delete them.
Delete these Files and Folders:
- wp-* (except for those above), readme.html, wp.php, xmlrpc.php, and license.txt; files; Typically files in your root or wordpress folder. Again, don’t delete the wp-config.php file.
- wp-admin folder;
- wp-includes folder; If using a language file remember don’t delete the wp-includes/languages/ folder
- wp-content/cache folder; You only see this folder if you are upgrading FROM WordPress 2.0.
After you have cleaned up like mentioned above you have to upload the WordPress 2.2 files to the server.
Now you need to run the Upgrade script by accessing /wp-admin/upgrade.php and follow the simple steps.
Login and check if it’s all good under the hood. Activate the Plugins, etc, etc…
- WordPress version 2.2 integrates widgets by default, without the need of installing the automatic plugin. The AdSense manager from mutube doesn’t work correctly when using the widget ads. It doesn’t remember the specific ad settings(type, size, colour…) it just displays the default ad. This forced me to remove the AdSense Widgets
The Preview function is not available while writing posts.Writing this post has been difficult without it . Maybe it is turned off by default but i didn’t manage to find the setting. EDIT: The preview is displayed in a new window. There is a small preview link at the top of the writing page.
- Overall i didn’t notice improvements, but i somehow feel better that i have the latest WordPress. Version 2.2 that is!
You can find the official upgrading tutorial here. Good luck with your WordPress Upgrade!